Job title: Communications Lead
Hours: 25 hours per week
Salary: £25,974 Full Time Equivalent (£13.50 per hour)
Pension: Standard auto enrolment pension scheme
Contractual Time: 3 years with possibility of further extension
Responsible to: CEO
Line Manager: Operations Manager
The Communications Lead is a key role for Nexus NI. They will be responsible for developing and implementing communications strategies and plans that will ensure that the organisation communicates effectively internally and externally, enabling it to achieve its aims and objectives. This will include working with clients and supporters, relevant professionals and the Northern Ireland population at large.
- To develop an annual media campaigns/PR strategy for Nexus NI including key messages, priorities, activity by agreed target audiences and evaluation processes in agreement with the CEO.
- To work on a variety of public awareness campaigns throughout the year, developing and implementing the strategy and liaising with partners where necessary to ensure coverage and campaign success
- Responsibility for approving any media communication for colleagues
- To prepare press releases and briefing documents for media and for Nexus representatives participating in media activity.
- To proactively develop good relationships with key media in Northern Ireland and develop an awareness of individual media outlet’s audiences/listenership.
- To be ‘media and policy aware’, responding to breaking news when and where appropriate and briefing key Nexus personnel on the issues.
- To be pro-active and generate media coverage for issues to reinforce Nexus Ni’s position as THE specialist agency offering services to victims of sexual violence in Northern Ireland.
- To monitor and evaluate media coverage against agreed performance indicators, both quantitative and qualitative.
- To proactively seek opportunities to disseminate Nexus’ service information to as wide an audience as possible
- To contribute to the development and implementation of Nexus’ public affairs strategy and plans, specifically in relation to media relations activity
- To oversee the development of the organisation’s social media strategy, leading on co-ordinating and monitoring the specific measurements to build our brand, fundraising and service utilisation.
- To lead on the creation and delivery of innovative content for all Nexus Social Media Channels
- To manage and develop website contribution to our public relations strategy.
- Approving all changes made to the website.
- Keeping content up to date, sourcing images and ensuring the Nexus NI brand, pledge and break the silence campaign is maintained.
Wider Organisational Support
- Providing advice and support to wider Nexus staff (and volunteer) team with regard to services marketing and communications
- To act as point of contact for any external agencies collaborating on marketing/communications.
- To liaise with past and present clients of Nexus NI who are taking part in campaigns ensuring they are at ease and communicated with appropriately including following-up after activity has completed
- Undertake relevant training as requested
- Adhere to Nexus NI policies and procedures.
Attend events as a representative of Nexus as and when appropriate
- A recognised Communications or PR qualification plus 2 years’ experience of working in a communications/lobbying field
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience of developing and implementing communications strategies and plans
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience of media relations, and implementing public awareness campaigns
OR if no recognised qualification:
- 5 years’ experience of working in a communications/lobbying field
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience of developing and implementing communications strategies and plans
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience of media relations, and implementing public awareness campaigns
- Proven organisational skills with practical experience of working with a range of individuals and organisations
- First class communication and interpersonal skills including experience of interacting with people at all levels, and the ability to speak in public.
- High level of experience and competence with IT including all Microsoft packages
- Proven experience of budget management.
- Proven ability to work on own initiative – ability to demonstrate experience of creative planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Hold a full, current driving licence with business insurance, and have access to the use of a car or some other appropriate form of transport to carry out the duties of the post in full.
- 3 years’ experience of developing and implementing communications strategies and plans
- Practical experience of working in a communications/marketing role within the community and voluntary sector.
- Practical experience of developing and implementing social media strategy
Nexus NI reserve the right to shortlist using both the desirable and essential criteria.
Please return all completed applications for the attention of HR Officer to Nexus NI, 119 University Street, Belfast BT7 1HP or email to firstname.lastname@example.org before midnight on 16th July 2018.
communications lead application form
HRF01 – Monitoring Form updated June 18